Bury St Edmunds vs Worthing Raiders



Bury St Edmunds52137Win
Worthing Raiders42230Loss


Date Time League Season Match Day Full Time
21/10/2017 3:00 pm National Division Two South 2017-2018 Saturday 80'

KO 2 17 27 28 37 37 47 48 61 61 66 70 73 74 80 FT

Bury St Edmunds

Position Red Card Yellow Card T C P DG

Worthing Raiders

# Player Position Red Card Yellow Card T C P DG
1Jide AjayiProp01 (37')0000
2Will Gearing-GriefHooker000000
3Dan Sargent 17Prop000000
4Joe SpurgeonLock000000
5Jack LakeBack Row000000
6Kemp PriceBack Row003 (2', 27', 66')000
7John Dawe 18Back Row000000
8Liam PerkinsBack Row000000
9Matt WalshScrum-Half001 (73')000
10Matt McLean 16Centre0002 (28', 74')2 (17', 80')0
11Jack ForrestCentre000000
12Max CoyleCentre000000
13Kiba RichardsCentre000000
14Jack Maslen 19Full-Back000000
15Kieran Leeming 20Fly-Half000000
16Grant Gatford 10Prop000000
17Rhys Litterick 3Prop000000
18Jon Whittall 7Back Row000000
19Sam Hampson 14Wing000000
20David McIlwaine 15Centre000000
 Total 014220
Red Card
Yellow Card


Match report and photos by Colin Coulson.

This week Raiders travelled to Suffolk to play Bury St Edmunds, another ambitious club seeking to be in the promotion race this season.

Liam Perkins and Matt McLean returned to the starting line-up for Raiders and new signing David McIlwaine made his debut from the bench.

The weather on the day remained dry throughout the game but the wind blew at near gale force to make kicking in all forms a difficult skill.

Bury kicked off and just like last Saturday it was Raiders who were very quickly on the scoreboard. From the first scrum Max Coyle was able to make a half break, Matt Walsh from the base of the ruck put in a high box kick which bounced kindly for Kemp Price to collect and score wide on the left. With a difficult conversion missed the visitors had a five point lead after two minutes.

The home side settled into their game plan and kept the pressure on the visitors’ defence but were unable to break through. After twelve minutes they were awarded a penalty near the posts and they settled for the three points to make it 3-5.

Raiders were back in the home side’s territory straight away and Matt Walsh came close to what would have been a great try, when from a quick tap penalty he just failed to regather his  chip ahead. The visitors continued to push for further points and after good work at the scrum a penalty allowed them to find touch inside the Bury 22. After several phases of attacking play Raiders earned a penalty close to the posts which Matt McLean kicked to make the score 3-8.

From the restart Joe Spurgeon collected the ball and made headway into the Bury defence. The ball moved crisply through the hands to reach Matt McLean on the left wing. His run beat several attempted tackles, when he was eventually pulled to the ground he offloaded to the ever present Kemp Price who romped home to score his second try of the day. Matt McLean added the extras and after twenty seven minutes the visitors had quietened the large crowd as they eased into a 15-3 lead.

Bury got back into the game a few minutes later when their throw into the lineout, on our 5 metre line, completely missed the intended catcher. The ball landed in the hands of an unmarked player who touched down unopposed. The gap closed to 15-8 as the conversion was missed.

As half time approached it was Bury who were dominating possession and in his efforts to prevent a try being scored Jide Ajayi was penalised and yellow carded by the referee. The home side chose to scrummage, Raiders prevented the attempted push over try but with a man advantage Bury found space elsewhere to score a converted try and bring the scores level as the referee, Doctor Jonathan Cook, blew for half time.

Half time score: Bury St Edmunds 15 Worthing Raiders 15

The second half started with the visitors facing seven more minutes with a player in the sin bin. It was imperative that Bury be kept away from Raiders’ territory for this period. Unfortunately this could not be achieved and before Jide Ajayi returned to the game Bury had swept into a 27-15 lead.

Raiders settled the ship for a while, but a further penalty and another try to the home side extended their lead to 37-15. At this point the game seemed to be slipping away but the visitors were not going to give up and indeed raised their game to produce rugby of the highest quality. Throughout the final fifteen minutes Raiders dominated the game completely. Backs and forwards alike constantly challenged the home defence. Individual breaks from Kiba Richards, Jack Forrest, David McIlwaine and Kemp Price led the charge.

Raiders brought the score to 37-20 when Liam Perkins pounced on a loose ball at a lineout and made off towards the Bury line, the ball was off loaded to Kemp Price who completed his hat trick of tries for the day with another typical barn storming run.

From the restart the visitors were immediately back in Bury territory and pressing for more points. Several attacks came close but were thwarted by the defence until a high tackle on David McIlwaine was penalised by the referee. Liam Perkins took a quick tap penalty and fed the ball to Matt Walsh who took several defenders over the line with him as he scored the bonus point try. With the successful conversion from Matt McLean the gap was reduced to 37-27.

With only a couple of minutes left it was now possible for the visitors to close the gap still further and gain a second bonus point. The home side were all at sea at this point and when Kiba Richards made one of his characteristic fifty metre breaks bursting through attempted tackles another try looked possible. The try wasn’t achieved but with the clock in the red a penalty was awarded to Raiders and Matt McLean calmly stepped up to slot the kick between the posts and earn a second bonus point.

Full time score: Bury St Edmunds 37 Worthing Raiders 30

What might have been if we hadn’t had a bad fifteen minutes either side of half time? However what great spirit and resolve shown by the Raiders’ squad in producing top quality rugby in this outstanding comeback. A well-deserved two bonus points on the road.


The GK IPA Haberden
2 St Botolph\'s Ln, Bury Saint Edmunds IP33 2BE, UK