Worthing Raiders vs Redingensians



Worthing Raiders33330Loss


Date Time League Season Match Day Full Time
16/09/2017 3:00 pm National Division Two South 2017-2018 Saturday 80'

KO 5 30 31 36 49 60 60 60 60 60 65 66 FT

Worthing Raiders

# Player Position Red Card Yellow Card T C P DG
1Grant GatfordProp000000
2Will Gearing-Grief 16Hooker000000
3Tom Adams 17Prop000000
4Joe Spurgeon 18Lock000000
5Jack LakeBack Row000000
6Kemp PriceBack Row010000
7John DaweBack Row000000
8Liam PerkinsBack Row000000
9Matt WalshScrum-Half000000
10Matt McLeanCentre001 (30')2 (31', 66')3 (5', 36', 49')0
11Sam Boyland 20Scrum-Half000000
12Jack ForrestCentre000000
13Kiba Richards 19Centre000000
14Jack MaslenFull-Back000000
15Kieran LeemingFly-Half000000
16George Harris 2Back Row000000
17Rhys Litterick 3Prop010000
19Ross Miller 13Centre000000
18Jamie Redmayne 4Back Row000000
20Sam Hampson 11Wing001 (65')000
 Total 022230

Raiders Assistant Coach: Ben Coulson
Raiders Head Coach: Jody Levett


Position Red Card Yellow Card T C P DG
Red Card
Yellow Card


After the confidence building start to the season Raiders faced their strongest opponents to date in Redingensians Rams. The weather looked set fair and the ground was dry so a fast open game was anticipated by the large crowd (572).

Raiders kicked off and quickly had the Rams defending in their own territory. This early pressure produced a penalty for the home side which Matt McLean kicked to open the scoring. (3-0)

It was soon obvious that the Rams would play a forward based game using the large, powerful pack as their main attacking weapon. From a penalty in the midfield the visitors kicked to find touch deep in the Raiders’ 22. From the lineout a well-constructed catch and drive produced their first try of the day to give them a 3-7 lead.

The visitors continued to use the power of their forwards to gain territory from scrums and lineouts but Raiders soaked up the pressure with aggressive defence which led to turnovers and relieving kicks.

After twenty five minutes the visitors again had a penalty in centre field which they kicked into touch near the Raiders’ goal line. From the initial catch and drive Jack Maslen and John Dawe managed to hold up the Rams’ player as he tried to cross the line, however the scrum that followed resulted in a try for the visitors. With the conversion missed the score was 3-12.

Within a minute of the restart some excellent handling and running in the backs led to a try being scored for Matt McLean, which he converted to close the gap to 10-12 after thirty minutes.

With only five minutes to go to half time the visitors scored a converted try to extend their lead to 10-19 but almost immediately Matt McLean closed the gap to 13-19 with another penalty kick.

Raiders had been under a lot of pressure during the half, especially for the ten minutes that Kemp Price had been in the sin bin. Despite this the home side always looked capable of scoring when they had the ball in hand and were able to make use of their fast and creative backs.

Half time score: Worthing Raiders 13 Redingensians Rams 19

Rams kicked off to start the second half but Raiders were soon on the attack. Kieran Leeming was having another excellent game under the high ball in defence and his line kicking was earning the home side good attacking positions. From one such kick to the corner the home side won the lineout and drove towards the visitors’ line, from the maul the ball was spun wide to the right wing but the scoring chance was thwarted. The pressure was maintained on the Rams’ defence and resulted in another penalty to Raiders which Matt McLean kicked to bring the visitors’ lead down to three points. (16-19)

The home side continued to play open attacking rugby. Jack Maslen made a clean break from the half way line and fed the ball to Matt McLean only to see him pulled down a few metres short of the try line. Raiders were playing with plenty of confidence and no lack of skill.

After sixty minutes a hail storm arrived over the ground and it was during this period the Rams’ pack took charge of the game and enabled them to quickly stretch the lead to 16-40. Rhys Litterick was sin binned after the visitors were awarded a penalty try from a scrum.

Worthing made good use of their replacements and as the weather brightened up so did the crowd as Raiders fought back with exciting, running rugby. The ball was moved between backs and forwards and stretched the visitors’ defence across the width of the pitch. A clever kick beyond the defence allowed Sam Hampson to out sprint the defence and dive on the ball to score a try which Matt Mclean converted. The score closed to 23-40.

Within seconds of the restart Raiders were again stretching the Rams’ defence to its limits, so much so that Referee Mr Gayther awarded the home side a penalty try to make the score 30-40, at which point the whistle went for full time.

Full time score: Worthing Raiders 30 Redingensians Rams 40

Although disappointing to lose, this was a very spirited performance against one of the strongest teams in the league. The home side had shown great resolve in their fight back and were the dominant side in the final stages of the game.

There were some excellent individual performances throughout the team on the day, plenty to be positive about for the future.

Thanks again to the great support from the crowd, who for the second week in a row endured some awful weather conditions.

 B&W Man of the Match: Matt Walsh


Roundstone Lane
A280, Angmering, Littlehampton BN16, UK