Canterbury 13 Worthing Raiders 7

Match report by Steve Hill

Following last week’s cancellation at home, Worthing welcomed back Scott Barlow, Finlay Coxon-Smith to the starting XV and Dan Sargent and Alex Nielsen to the bench.

Kicking off under lights with the benefit of the slope and wind, Worthing enjoyed an equal amount of possession whilst good tackling kept the home side in their own half for most of the early play.

Scott Barlow was heavily involved in the early exchanges with a number of crunching tackles and several strong runs. Dino Lamb almost scored following a good run down the middle, this resulted in a penalty seven yards out, kicking for touch unfortunately the ball was lost from the resulting five yard line-out.

Canterbury broke out and were awarded a penalty on the 22 virtually in front of the post, spurning the three points they kicked for touch and drove for the line – good work by the Raiders’ defence resulted in a turn over. From the resulting scrum Worthing managed to clear towards the halfway line.

With the home side dominant at line-out Worthing struggled to gain territory as any kicks resulted in the home side running it back.

A free kick from a scrum resulted in George Montgomery putting up a high ball, Worthing managed to turn the ball over – skipper Matt McLean attacked the line, put a kick through for Kariym Irving to open the scoring in the corner. Matt McLean added the extras with a superb kick as Worthing took a 7 point lead after just over twenty five minutes of the first half.

Canterbury enjoyed a lot of ball leading up to half-time, attacking the ball was spun through the three quarters resulting in the home side crossing for an unconverted try in the corner – Canterbury 5 Worthing 7 after thirty five minutes.

The half ended with Worthing awarded a penalty ten yards out, spurning the three points they opted to take a scrum. Canterbury survived by turning the ball over – end of the first half, still Canterbury 5 Worthing 7.

Dan Sargent and Alex Nielsen joined the game at half time, Worthing knew they would have to put a big shift in as the home side now had the benefit of the slope and the elements. Following a scrum, debutant scrum-half Sam Boyland made a good sniping run, then winger Kariym Irving had a strong run up the left, on both occasions the home defence held firm.

For the following period of play both defences were dominating the play so neither side was able to get near the try-line. Canterbury were awarded a penalty forty yards from the Worthing line, following a minor dissent the penalty was advance ten yards giving the home kicker an easier shot at goal  a chance he was not turning down so Canterbury took the lead 8 – 7 after approximately fifty two minutes.

Raiders attacked with determination for most of the remaining time with Alex Nielsen prominent but Canterbury’s well martialled defence continued to hold out. Canterbury managed to attack down the left and score an unconverted try in the corner with seven or eight minutes to play. Canterbury 13 Worthing 7.

For much of the remaining time Worthing attacked without success despite earning several more penalties at the scrum. When it looked as if Worthing might cross the line they were pulled back for an adjudged forward pass. This proved to be the last chance of the match as the home side held on for a hard fought 13 – 7 win.

Another close game with the result not going the Raiders way but in defeat the Worthing side showed enough to suggest that a win is possible next week at home to Clifton. It is a 2pm kick off so get down to Roundstone Lane and give the boys your support.


  • Ryan Storer
  • Will Grief
  • Grant Gatford
  • Scott Barlow
  • Jack Lake
  • James Hadfield
  • Jon Whittall
  • Dino Lamb
  • Sam Boyland
  • George Montgomery
  • Kariym Irving
  • Kieran Leeming
  • Finlay Coxon-Smith
  • Nick Paddenburg
  • Matt McLean


Dan Sargent, Matt Finney, George Harris, Harry Short and Alex Nielsen reminisce