Redingensians Rams 39 Worthing Raiders 26

Match report by Martin Maslen

Saturday 6th January

This was the first game after the festive season and the squad was eager to get up and running after the 2 weeks enforced break.

The weather was COLD, with a chilling wind factor to take in to account.

With Kiba Richards and Joe Spurgeon out with injuries there was a welcome return of David McIlwaine to full back and Michael Dingle had a debut start in the number 5 shirt.

Jack Lake and George Harris came in on the bench.

The whistle blew and Raiders were immediately defending in their 22. Redingensians employed their well drilled pack and were soon on the score board with an unconverted try scored by Vooght after 3 minutes, 5-0. The Raiders kick-off was secured by the home side and they attacked down the left. During this period of play Michael Dingle was replaced by Jack Lake who took a knock and had to leave the field with a shoulder injury on 6 minutes.

The subsequent scrum led to the home sides second try by second row Thomson after 7 minutes, the conversion was missed, 10-0. The next ten minutes saw both sides attacking and defending well until the 19th minute when Vooght scored his second try, unconverted, 15-0. Soon after George Head came on for an injured Jide Ajayi.

There followed a period of some outstanding defending and attacking by the Raiders which led to their first try scored by David McIlwaine. The try was converted by Matt Mclean, 15-7. Raiders looked to build on this before the half time whistle however the Redingensians’ full back wanted to get in on the act and succeeded in scoring in the 37th minute, the conversion was missed.

The teams went in at half time for a well-deserved hot chocolate with the score at 20-7.

The second half saw changes for the Raiders. Max Coyle had picked up an injury and did not return for the second half. Sam Hampson came on and went to the wing, Jack Maslen went to full back and David McIlwaine went to centre. Elliot Luke came on to replace Will Gearing-Grief.

The second half started much as the first half with Redingensians attacking through their pack rolling forward which resulted in their 5th try after 47 minutes by the hooker, Henderson. The conversion was good, 27-7.

From the restart Raiders played some sublime rugby with interaction and offloading involving the forwards and backs leading to their second try scored by Jack Maslen, the conversion was missed, 27-12.

Raiders were now looking to close the gap on the home side but four minutes later the home side scored their 6th try by their number 8, Stapley. The conversion was missed, 32-12.

Soon after this, due to injuries, Raiders were unable to provide front row replacements so the set scrums went to uncontested and Raiders went down to 14 players.

The next 10 minutes saw the Raiders provide some exceptional entertainment with free flowing rugby and offloading skills leading to a well worked try for Jack Forrest, converted by Matt Mclean, 32-19.

Unfortunately from the restart they could not keep out the home side whose centre, Souter, scored on 65 minutes, the conversion was good. 39-19.

Raiders were not to be out done in their search for a try bonus point and put the home side under intense pressure, resulting in 2 yellow cards to the home side. On the stroke of full time Matt McLean crashed over for the bonus point try which he then converted.

Final score Redingensians Rams 39 Worthing Raiders 26.

All in all a good result away from home on a bitterly cold day against a team sitting in 3rd place and pushing for a play-off spot.

Referee: Jack Sutton


Tries: David McIlwaine, Jack Maslen, Jack Forrest, Matt McLean

Cons: Matt McLean x 3


  1. David McIlwaine 14. Jack Maslen 13. Max Coyle 12. Jack Forrest 11. Kieran Tomlinson 10. Matt McLean           9. Matt Walsh 1. Jide Ajayi 2. Will Grief 3. Rhys Litterick 4. Jamie Redmayne 5. Michael Dingle 6. Kemp Price 7. Jon Whittall 8. Liam Perkins – Captain


  1. Elliott Luke 17. George Head 18. George Harris 19. Jack Lake 20. Sam Hampson