Worthing Raiders 40 Old Redcliffians 34

Match report by Colin Coulson. Photos by Warwick Baker.

Saturday 2nd December

After wins against Broadstreet and Clifton in the previous two matches, Raiders were looking to make it three in a row against this week’s visitors Old Redcliffians.

Ex-Raider Sam Hewick captained the visitors on his first game back at Roundstone Lane since moving to Bristol in the summer.

Although only 14th in the league going into this game the visitors have scored a lot of points against good opposition this season. Raiders’ players and coaches expected a tough game and that is exactly what they got.

With Matt Walsh unavailable Sam Boyland moved to scrum half and Kieran Tomlinson made his debut on the wing. Dan Peach was on the bench making his first appearance of the season.

Jack Forrest kicked off for Raiders attacking the northern end of the ground. Unlike last week Raiders were on the scoreboard within two minutes. With their first possession of the day the ball was moved from the base of a ruck via Jon Dawe and Jack Maslen to Kieran Tomlinson. After sprinting down the wing he returned the ball to Jack Maslen who finished the move with his first try of the afternoon. Raiders 5 Old Redcliffians 0.

The visitors played an expansive game whenever they had possession and were rewarded with two penalties and a converted try giving them a 13 – 5 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Since scoring at the start of the match Raiders had found it hard to maintain the ball long enough to add to their tally. Chances were created but could not quite be finished. Kieran Tomlinson came very close after making a break down the right wing but was bundled into touch five metres short of the try line.

Just before the half hour mark the home side started to play with more cohesion and the reward was three tries leading up to half time.

Raiders scored their second try after Liam Perkins picked up from the base of the scrum and fed Sam Boyland who sprinted through a gap in the defence and gave the ball to Jack Maslen to score under the posts. Matt McLean converted to bring the score to 12-13.

Within a couple of minutes Jack Forrest pounced on an error in the visitors’ back play and kicked ahead, having then scooped the ball up on the run he was able to feed Matt McLean who scored the try and added the extras to put the home side in front 19-13.

Old Redcliffians were soon back on the scoreboard with a converted try 19-20, but the home side struck back straight away with Jack Maslen’s third try of the afternoon assisted again by Liam Perkins and Sam Boyland. Matt McLean completed the scoring for the half.

Half time score: Raiders 26 Old Reds 20

The second half couldn’t have started better for Raiders, with only a minute gone Sam Hampson intercepted the ball on the half way line and out sprinted the defence for another converted try. The lead extended to 33-20.

The game became quite scrappy with both teams creating chances but making errors at vital moments.

Old Reds scored next with an intercept try of their own to close the gap to 33-27 with thirteen minutes left to play. The game was back in the balance and the crowd were becoming a little fretful until Jack Forrest made a clean break to score the home side’s sixth try which Matt McLean converted. With the lead now 40-27 it seemed the job was done but Old Redcliffians thought differently and scored their fourth try to earn a bonus point and bring the score to 40-34.

There followed a nervous final couple of minutes for the home side as the visitors attacked again wide on the left. Referee Jack Sutton blew the whistle for a forward pass which also signalled the end of the game with a final score of Raiders 40 Old Redcliffians 34.

The game had been very open throughout, providing the crowd with a mixture of excellent try scoring by both sides as well as some very scrappy periods with neither side really taking control of the game.

In the end a third bonus point win in a row for Raiders who now have 35 points and sit in a crowded mid table in National 2 South.

Final Score: Worthing Raiders 40 Old Redcliffians 34

Referee: Jack Sutton

B&W Man of the Match: Jack Maslen


Tries: Jack Maslen x 3 Matt McLean, Sam Hampson, Jack Forrest.

Cons: Matt McLean x 5


  1. Jack Maslen (Peach 79 mins) 14. Kieran Tomlinson 13. Kiba Richards 12. Jack Forrest 11. Sam Hampson 10. Matt McLean 9. Sam Boyland 1. Jide Ajayi (Sargent 31 mins) 2. Elliott Luke (Grief 66 mins) 3. Rhys Litterick (Ajayi 55 mins) 4. Joe Spurgeon 5. Jack Lake (Redmayne 55 mins) 6. Kemp Price 7. John Dawe (Whittall 66 mins) 8. Liam Perkins – Captain


  1. Will Grief 17. Dan Sargent 18. Jamie Redmayne 19. Jon Whittall 20. Dan Peach