Worthing Warriors V Ashford

Sunday saw another away fixture for Worthing Warriors, travelling to Ashford, Kent. The team were in high spirits and keen to show Ashford what they were made of after having to pull out of the previous fixture earlier in the season due to a number of injuries. The Warriors had a bit of a slow start to the game and after spending a fair bit of time in their own half, Ashford, a fairly forward dominant team, managed to work the ball to one of their backs allowing them to exploit an overlap and score in the corner. The Warriors responded well though and were quick to fight back. A fantastic decision from Saz Longhurst saw her kick the ball through with Leanne Lampard managing to beat the Ashford defence to it and diving on it over the try line. After a number of back and forward plays from both teams Ashford found a gap and scored their second try. As the game edged towards half time the Warriors were eager to get more points on the board. A penalty to the Warriors in the far corner was taken quickly and worked its way to Captain Giorgia Palethorpe who powered through the defensive line scoring between the posts making for an easy conversion for Lorraine O’Connor. 


The second half started with Ashford scoring two early tries but failing to convert either. Tensions were getting high between the teams and high tackle from Ashford saw their player yellow carded and a penalty providing Worthing with the perfect opportunity to get the ball to Lauren Owens who broke through scoring under the posts making for another easy conversation for Lorraine O’Connor. Ashford later scored but were again unsuccessful in converting making the score 25-19. Worthing received another penalty just inside the 22, directly in front of the posts allowing Loraine O’Connor to kick for an easy 3 points. Shortly after Ashford’s sin binned player returned to the pitch another of their team were yellow carded but even with a player down they unfortunately were able to get one final try before the final whistle, this one being converted making the final score 32-22. Whilst it was a frustrating game for the Warriors and not the result they had hoped for, they can hold their heads high knowing they fought hard to the very end. 


As one, one team. Worthing Warriors.