Worthing Raiders vs Redruth



Worthing Raiders109168Win


Date Time League Season Full Time
15/09/2018 3:00 pm National Division Two South 2018-2019 80'


Match report and photos by Colin Coulson

After two games away from home Raiders started their home programme with a match against old rivals Redruth.

On a perfect day for open running rugby a crowd of well over five hundred were in attendance at Roundstone Lane.

This was definitely a game of ‘two halves’. The first half was a tight, evenly contested, score for score affair. The second half was a showcase of blistering back play by the home side.

Raiders kicked off attacking the southern end of the ground. Kiba Richards rose high and tapped the ball back to Matt Walsh, who cleverly kicked to the corner immediately putting Redruth under pressure. No points were gained at this point but just on four minutes into the game a break by Liam Perkins after a midfield scrum, saw the skipper off load perfectly in the tackle to Jon Dawe, who raced through several attempted tackles to score the first try of the day. Matt McLean added the extras.

Redruth looked dangerous when they were able to use their big pack in close quarter play and after fifteen minutes they were rewarded with a converted try following a lineout and subsequent catch and drive. (7-7)

Both sides looked capable of scoring and the game was evenly matched.

After some excellent defence across the width of the pitch Redruth knocked on and from the resulting scrum Matt Walsh moved the ball left to Jack Forrest but the final pass didn’t go to hand and the chance was missed by the home side.

On twenty four minutes Jon Dawe received a yellow card for an infringement in the ruck.

Within a minute Raiders found themselves defending a Redruth lineout five metres from their own try line. After great defence the ball was turned over and moved to Jack Maslen on the left wing, who made thirty metres before handing on to Jack Forrest who was brought down short of the try line. Joe Spurgeon eventually scoring the try from the ensuing ruck, with the conversion from Matt McLean the lead was 14-7.

The game continued to be evenly contested until the visitors again scored following a series of rucks close to the Raiders’ line. The try was converted and as the half was nearing its end the scores were again level. (14-14)

As the whistle went for half time it appeared the second half was going to be just as competitive as the first.

Half time score: Worthing Raiders 14 Redruth 14

The second half resumed with Redruth kicking off. The ball was caught by Matt Walsh on his own 22 metre line, his pass went via Matt McLean and Jack Forrest before reaching Curtis Barnes who outpaced the first line of defence before turning the ball back infield to Matt McLean to score and convert the try. (21-14)

Within two minutes the home side were on the scoreboard again after Kiba Richards won a loose ball on the floor, Sam Boyland put in a box kick that Jack Maslen raced onto and scored. The extras again added by Matt McLean. (28-14)

From the restart the Raiders’ backs again ran out of defence, this time Curtis Barnes feeding to Jack Forrest to score, the conversion was missed. (33-14)

The crowd was ecstatic and must have wondered if it was possible to have more of the same, they didn’t have long to wait before once more the backs ripped through the Redruth defence with Matt McLean scoring again after an excellent cross kick from Curtis Barnes.  Matt McLean converted his own try. (40-14)

Raiders can sometimes be a little slow getting going after the half time break, but not this week with four tries inside the first ten minutes.

Redruth fought back as we would expect and earned themselves a penalty try in the fifty second minute, Elliott Luke received a yellow card at this point.

With a quarter of the game to go there was a period where the contest looked more even until Joe Spurgeon stole the ball at a Redruth lineout, this resulted in Curtis Barnes scoring in the corner. Matt McLean put the ball through the middle of the posts from the touchline. (47-21)

The Raiders pack had by now achieved dominance over their opponents and with plenty of ball to play with more points looked possible. It was about this point when Sam Boyland, probably the smallest player on the field, put in the tackle of the season on one of the biggest Redruth players. An audible gasp was heard from the crowd.

Matt Walsh scored next, darting over from close quarters, conversion again from Matt McLean made the score 54-21.

It now seemed that whenever the Raiders’ backs had the ball a try was possible and so it proved when they threw the ball across the back line from close to their own try line. Curtis Barnes receiving the ball with 75 metres to go to the Redruth try line. His pace was too much for the defence and he scored his second try of the day on his home debut. Two points followed from Matt McLean’s boot. (61-21)

Redruth at no time gave up and it was when they were having a good period of attack that Jack Maslen nipped in to intercept a pass on the halfway line and speed in for Raiders’ tenth and final try of the day, converted again by Matt McLean.

After a tight, hard fought first half, the second half had been an absolutely thrilling display of running rugby by the home side.

The home crowd had had a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable afternoon and their support cannot be underestimated.

The B & W Man of the Match was Matt McLean who last Saturday, against Guernsey Raiders, reached 2000 National League points. Today he went a step further and scored his 100th try in National League rugby. Today he earned the Man of the Match scoring two tries and nine conversions, a total of 28 points. Congratulations on your outstanding achievements.

Full time score: Worthing Raiders 68 Redruth 21

Referee: Richard Haughton

Worthing Raiders

# Player Position Red Card Yellow Card T C P DG
1Henry Birch 18Prop000000
2Elliott Luke 16Hooker01 (51')0000
3Grant Gatford 17Prop000000
4Joe Spurgeon 20Lock001 (29')000
5Jack LakeLock000000
6Jon WhittallBack Row000000
7John DaweBack Row01 (24')1 (4')000
8Liam PerkinsBack Row000000
9Matt WalshScrum-Half001 (65')000
10Matt McLeanFly-Half002 (41', 48')9 (4', 29', 41', 43', 48', 59', 65', 75', 79')00
11Curtis BarnesWing002 (59', 75')000
12Jack ForrestCentre001 (45')000
13Kiba Richards 19Centre000000
14Sam BoylandWing000000
15Jack MaslenFull-Back002 (43', 79')000
16Will Gearing-Grief 2Hooker000000
17Kieran Sassone 3Prop000000
18Sam Cook 1Prop000000
19Harrison Sims 13Centre000000
20Michael Dingle 4Lock000000
 Total 0210900


# Player Position Red Card Yellow Card T C P DG
1Eliot Salt 18Prop001 (33')000
2Luke Barnes 1Hooker000000
3Craig P Williams 17Prop000000
4Todd Prisk 13Lock000000
5Luke HattamLock000000
6Jake ClemsonBack Row001 (15')000
7Mark GrubbBack Row000000
8Brad Howe 20Full-Back000000
9Sam StevensScrum-Half000000
10Richard KevernFly-Half0002 (15', 33')1 (52')0
11Shea CornishWing000000
12Jack SimmonsCentre000000
13Connor Gilbert 19Centre000000
14Bradley James 16Wing000000
15Aaron SimmondsFull-Back000000
16Dean Bonds 14-000000
17Jess Tompsett 3-000000
18Jack Hodge 1-000000
19James Tucker 13-000000
20Mark Harper 8-000000
 Total 002210
Red Card
Yellow Card



Roundstone Lane
A280, Angmering, Littlehampton BN16, UK