A brief history of Worthing RFC
Humble beginnings in the summer of 1920
A group of local men met at York House over their shared love of the sport and decided that this town needed a Rugby Football Club. They formed the club on the 10th September 1920. They had no ground or equipment, they initially borrowed a field from a local farmer before moving to the Rotary Ground at Broadwater where the Cricketers Arms was used for changing. In the 1924-25 season the club moved to Rugby Road.
1927 and on the way up
In 1927 the club moved to a new ground at Castle Road just in time to play the first match of the 1927-28 season
The original club colours were green and white stripes, which were also sported by Guildford. The choice of the present royal blue with chocolate and gold hoops was made in 1927. The scheme is an amalgamation of the colours of Dulwich, Mill Hill and Cranleigh where many of the team members had been to school.
The war years
In 1939 the ground was closed and requisitioned for grazing, and later as a billet for Canadian troops. In 1946 the ground re-opened and the club played it’s rugby there for the next 30 years. During the 1970’s with the growth in Junior and Mini Rugby, it was apparent that we needed larger facilities.
Worthing RFC v Catford Bridge at Grove Ground, Worthing 31st March 1923
Back row: J Ashby | J Pitchford | W G Roberts | J Richards | A S Ivens | R G Wilshaw
Middle Row: G A Saunders | E Hattemore (captain) | T L Foster | K G Macleary
Front Row: F Grevatt | J E Atkinson | E G Budd | C Hinds | R W Viggers
The Roundstone lane ground
In 1977 the club moved to it’s present location in Angmering, and the ground was officially opened in 1979 by Dickie Jeeps the former England international and then Chairman of the sports council. We provide up to 6 pitches, and have two floodlit pitches with TV quality floodlighting on one of them. The clubhouse has recently been extended with the aid of a lottery grant, enabling us to establish Women’s rugby, and add many new facilities.
Ex-pupils of Worthing High School for Boys formed the Old Azurians Rugby Football Club in 1927. The name derives from the school magazine, known as ”The Azurian”, and sporting an azure cover. In the 1970’s the club membership was opened up and they became known as the Azurians. In 1989 the Azurians amalgamated with Worthing RFC, which still benefits from an active number of OA’s in its ranks.
Centre of excellence
From a farmers field near the seafront in 1920, Worthing RFC has progressed, and now offers first class rugby facilities, which have earned us the designation Centre of Excellence for Sussex Rugby.